Thursday, December 31, 2009

the year in music: Logos

Atlas Sound Logos

Logos offered me a much needed autumn, a hazy come-down from the illustrious highs of summer, something to Fall into in the midst of some serious tragedies. The first singles "Walkabout" and "Sheila" carried me through the cold months in Colorado. Both are guiltless and sweet, and each warmed me up, encouraging me to keep walking. It was the soundtrack for bus rides through October snow, it swirled through the cold November sun and skeletal trees, and it filled my room through December. The more I explore it, the more I find, the more I hear.

It may be a personal inclusion, but Logos is undeniably inventive and great. Bradford Cox really studies the music he loves, and it shows. Atlas Sound is not the most original band in the world, but there is a great care in which Cox pulls apart his influences, both modern and classic, to understand them. And when he puts them back together, it comes out like this.

No comments: